Monday, October 16, 2006

Well I hope everyone is well. I am still in Nashville and somewhat short on time so this may not be very long.

Today I will be making a move. When I first got here I made special arrangments with the manager of Candlewood Suites Hotel in Brentwood, TN. and I highly recommend this hotel for those of you that visit the Nashville area. This is very close to Brentwood Hills Church of Christ which is by far, the largest church I've ever seen or been in. Back to Candlewood, I explained who I was, why I was in town and that I had a small budget. He gave me an amazingly inexpensive rate and waived the fee they would normally charge for pets (I travel with my dog). The rate he gave me was based on the Hotels commitment to assist the people of the Gulf Coast in their devestating time of need. Over 2000 people stayed at this hotel free right after Hurricane Katrina. Well after taking a closer look at my budget I have decided I need to make other arrangements to accomodate my discipating financial means of staying here in Nashville. The hotel has saving me a substantial amount of money compared to what I would normally have spent in this area. Not to mention kennel expenses for my dog. So with that said I will be making a move into a room that someone has graciously allowed me to occupy for the next 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks I was planning on going home back to Virginia. I intend on going there, collecting a long time unpaid debt and going to see my family for the holidays. Unforeseen circumstances are more than likely going to change my plans. As of now I have spent a large portion of my time in Nashville sick. I dont have the same thing as I had a couple weeks ago but have been getting a massive amount of migraine headaches. This is something that has been an ongoing problem since I lost my hearing in the Army. They seem to intensify and get worse with age. But my point is I dont feel like I have done nearly as much as I could here. I am commited to filling the schedule at Central Church of Christ and hoping that they have so many volunteers wanting to come they have to recommend they come down but go to other areas on the Gulf Coast. With that said I think I might stay in the area longer than I initially planned. As with anything I feel this is what God wants me to do and I have the ability to do so.

I have prayed about this and have been juggeling with the idea for a week or so now. Last night I spoke to someone who convinced me this is what I should do. Something that I feel so strongly about has altered my plans for over a year now and I dont want to turn my back on the people down there. The need is great and I made a promise that I intend to adhere to.

After the new year I think I will be traveling back to the Gulf Coast for a short time. I have so many opportunities that I can basically pick and choose. Some job offers have come in from my former career in law enforcement but I think I will continue my path doing Gods work and helping those in need. I plan on creating a full time stormchasing team that will travel to natural disasters and help people recover from their hardships. I've always wanted to do something like that but never thought I would be doing it. So after this mission trip I will be seeking fiancial support or long term sponsorship for the CDRC (Christian Disaster Recovery Coalition).

My focus will be on setting up a team of christians that travels the continential United States and assists churches in disaster areas. I want to get a mobile home that can accomodate a small team (5-7) and gather some volunteers that also seek to do Gods will and have the ability to travel.

Anyway that kind of sums up my short term and long term goals as well as current happenings. Not a lot of success with recruiting but this time of year I dont see a bunch of churches picking a date to come down until that time comes closer and they have a better idea of how many can come. So John keep your chin held high and continue fighting the good fight. Hello to the Elders at Central CofC.

Where I'm going does not have internet. So I might be offline for a short time. I keep keep everyone appraised as best I can and when I can. Thanks for all the support and love.

Your friend, Jeff

1 comment:

JD said...

Glad to hear from you! No interet? Balderdash! It's all around you! Coffee shops, libraries, church offices, friends ... be creative! We like to read what's happening with you!