Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Well here it is, the final week of my journey to the Mississippi Gulf Coast (at least for now). On September 5th 2005 I arrived in Biloxi and have not left the coast yet(with the execption of trips to New Orleans, Mobile and Pensacola,FL). During the past year I have met what seems like 10,000 or more people! The faces, smiles, laughter, work teams seem to be the fondest memories of this trip. As for the hardships, tears, sweat, blood and other traumatic effects, no words can describe the pain I have in my heart for the Hurricane Katrina victims.

As I begin to gather my things and get ready to leave, I find myself torn with the day to day responsibilities of being part of this mission. Do I go to Jerry Lee's grocery store and pick up pasteries for the restaurant? Do I go up to the childrens ward at the hospital and take them the teddy bears that have been sitting in my office for over a month now? Do I drive down Buena Vista Street and see who needs their lawn mowed? Do I go to the Volunteer Center and get their wish list of things they still need? Do I call the manager of Lowes and ask him to donate lumber, appliances or cabinets? These are all things that nobody else is tasked (if you would call it that) to do. So if I dont do them then who will? See being part of this recovery effort I have been blessed with the ability to find and do. Meaning I dont need to be handed a list of "to-do's" because anyone with a head on their shoulder and a big heart can walk down ANY street in this city and find a way to help a victim!

With so much to do how do I let go? Is there hope for this community if we all just "let go" and continue on with our lives? I dont know if when I'm gone if anyone else is going to do all the small but important things I do for this mission. David Kilbern is innidated with work requests, phone calls, crew assignments, etc. (Gives me a headache just thinking about it)! John is tied down with scheduling crews to come, preparing for a sermon, maintaining the website, visiting members and spreading the word. What I do know is that everyone here at the church is giving 110% and I know if anyone requests help, these guys will do the best in their power to assist them in any way possible. If it's Gods will.... it will be done!!

So as I begin to turn the page of a new chapter in my adventure book I want to give some words of encouragement to the residents of Mississippi. I would like to say that your not forgotten! We will not give up on you! We know you need help and the calvary is coming, just hang tight! Keep your chins held high and pray to God that things are not worse! Be strong and show your neighbors the kind of love you would show Jesus if he was standing beside you. And please, last but not least, as my friend John Dobbs said in his blog today..... there is always sunshine above the clouds! Remember that!



As the people of mississippi rebuild their lives it is important to remember all the sacrifice that took place to make it happen. Even though it is a slow process I think that God has moved mountains down here already and that in time this coast will be 100 times stonger than it once was!

With the work that has been done versus work that will completed in the future, nobody could ever say that any volunteer down here has given less than 110%. From young adults in college, high school kids to elderly couples and even the handicapt I can honestly say that regardless of your situation there is always something you could do! It's because of the volunteers that Mississippi has gotten as far as it has. I would like to take a moment to thank....

University of Mississippi, North Carolina State University, Virginia Tech, University of North Carolina Willmington, University of Wisconsin, UCLA, Nebraska State University, University of Arkansas, Michigan State University, Merideth College, Boston College, Oakland State University, Sherwood University, Faulkner University, Baylor University, Cincinnati Christian University, Southern Christian University, Oklahoma Christian University and the many many others that have been here and helped us. Sping Break 2006 was spent tearing out drywall, mowing lawns, cleaning mold, cooking food, building bunk beds and hundreds of other tasks. We appreciate your time and effort and God bless you for coming down! I've made some great friends and hope that God worked in your lives as he has in mine.

To the high school students, elementary kids and teen mission programs that have been here, thank you! Your curiosity, motivation and inspiation has touched the lives of thousands (literally). Every week when you guys came down you charged our batteries and kept our chins up. Something like this can take it's toll on those of us that have been here for awhile. The constant negative experiences and devestation will eat you up if your not strong. The thing that has kept me afloat is you (and God ofcoarse)! In a way, I can thank you for helping me help others. So my utmost respect and admiration goes to you guys for coming down here. I'm glad your the future of America!
To those that came down here in groups, with your spouse or alone and put your lives on hold to do a greater good, I thank you! The progress on the Gulf Coast could not be anywhere close to where it is, if it wasn't for you! As christians our job is to go out and make believers of Christ. When this storm started alot of people were asking us "If God is so good, why would he do this to me". Because of you their response is now "I've been blessed to such an extent that I would never have imagined"! It's AWSOME!! The homeowners here have seen complete strangers come into their community and into their homes, tear out sheetrock, scrub the mold, hang sheetrock, install floors, paint, insulate, roof, build, etc.! Not only did you do it and do it well, but you sang songs and brought cheer into their lives. So your kind deeds are directly influencing this community in so many ways. So yes you have made believers and yes you most certainly made friends! Thank you!


Now how can I forget our Canadian friends? Your selfless sacrifice to this cause has led the example for others to follow. Your love for each other can be seen by anybody around you. How someone can be together for 50 years and be so much in love is an amazing thing. I have a hard time with 50 weeks! LOL No seriously I want you guys to know we still think about you and wish you the best this life and the next, have to offer!!


Well out of all the inspirational fellowships, devotions and sermons I have recieved at Central Church of Christ, I would like to point one particular. Each week I would have a bonfire behind the restaurant or down on the beach. We would talk about how God is working in everyones lives, what have they seen or done that week, how they felt about it and if they learned anything from their trip. When I do this I usually ask the group leaders to come forward and say a few words. Well one time I had this couple get up there (I'm sorry I dont remember their names) and tell the story of the "Starfish". Now since I've heard it I have told it 100 times over and apparently it's a common story that many christians know.

You see the story goes like this... A couple was walking down the beach enjoying a nice evening stroll. It's romantic, their holding hands and enjoying their walk. Then all of a sudden the mans wife stops! She bends over and picks something up and threw it in the ocean. The husband was kind of surprised by her sudden action. She bends down again and continues to repeat this action. The husband say "what are you doing"? She responds with "I'm throwing these starfish in the ocean". He looks in astoundment and says "duh"! He then asks "why are you throwing them into the ocean"? She looks to him and says "to save their lives". The husband smiles and says "look at the beach, theres thousands. Do you really think your going to make a difference"? She stopped for a brief second and looked at him and said "well it sure makes a diffence to this one doesnt it" (as she throws it into the ocean)!

It makes a difference to that one! You see, you cant do everything. Cause this might come as some surprise but YOUR ONLY HUMAN! hehe True I'm not lying!! But to the one that you do help you make a difference. It's not hard to change a life. All you have to do sometimes is show a little love and compassion. Help one person and change a world! Either way you made a difference in that persons life. And hey, you planted a seed!!

The reason I bring up this story is to let you know that the Central Church of Christ made that difference to me. I came here (well to the Guld Coast) to help for a couple months tops and had no idea I would still be in Mississippi. I have begun the paperwork on the Christian Disaster Recovery Coalition (CDRC), I will chase storms from here on out. I have decided to do this full time even after the Katrina recovery is thru. I am forming a team that will travel to natural disasters and help people. I'll have more on that later.... stay tuned! ; ) But the church made a difference in my life. Maybe this whole time they didnt even know it but they helped me more than words can express. To honor their sacrifice I will follow their example and try to find starfish! Thank you David Kilbern, John Dobbs and the Central Church of Christ!! You have shed light on something I have been looking for, for a long time now!

Oh oh, appearently I messed up the link with Johns photo. This here is the REAL John Dobbs oops!

Please post your comments, I am interested what everyone thinks.


John 12:35 - "You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before the darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of the light".

No comments: